In honour of this forthcoming event, I had a bit of a stash diving session and dug out all the yarns I had left over from cloth nappying days that never got worked up into longies and suchlike. I found some Pixie Knits yarn I acquired from a friend, it has no label but I think the colour is Aria. This is the hat I came up with:
It's based on a lot of other childrens hats I've made and increases in multiples of six stitches so it's quite easy to adjust the sizing by adding extra increase rounds following the formula!
5mm hook, 100g aran weight yarn
Size small approx 16" around (12+ months)
Size medium approx 17.5" around (18+ months)
Size large approx 19" around (2 years +)
(larger sizes bracketed round numbers)
1. Ch2, 6sc in 2nd ch from hook
Mark 1st st of each round with stitch marker, do not join rounds. Work in back loop only (BLO)
2. (In BLO) 2sc in each st around (12)
3. (2sc, sc) around (18)
4. (2sc, sc in next 2 st) around (24)
5. (2sc, sc in next 3 st) around (30)
6. (2sc, sc in next 4 st) around (36)
7. (2sc, sc in next 5 st) around (42)
8. (2sc, sc in next 6 st) around (48)
9. (2sc, sc in next 7 st) around (54)
10. (2sc, sc in next 8 st) around (60) stop increase rounds here for the smallest size
11. (2sc, sc in next 9 st) around (66) stop increase rounds here for the medium size
12. (2sc, sc in next 10 st) around (72) stop increase rounds here for the largest size
11 (12,13) - 28 (30, 32) - sc around in BLO
In first st of next round sl st. Fasten off and weave in ends.
I'm a bit lazy and always looking for ways to avoid sewing in ends. For the flower I used a technique I discovered while working up some afghan squares where at a certain point you work in the front loops before going back to work in the back loops. If you leave a long enough tail before the slip knot there's even less sewing :)
This was made using the 5mm hook again
1. Ch2, 6sc in 2nd ch from hook, sl st in 1st sc to join.
2. Ch1, 2sc in each st around, sl st to join (12)
3. Ch1, (2sc, sc) around, sl st in front loop to join (18)
4. Working in front loop only, ch1 (sc, hdc), (hdc, dc,hdc), (hdc, sc) around to form the 6 smaller petals. Sl st in back loop behind start of first petal to join.
5. In BLO (2hdc, hdc in next 2 st) around, sl st in 1st to join (24)
6. Ch3, 2dc in same st, sk 1, sl st in next, (sk1, 5dc in next st, sk1, sl st in next) around, work 2dc in 1st st worked to complete the first petal. Sl st in top of ch3 to join. Fasten off, weave in. Use the long tail to attach the flower to the hat.
This pattern is for personal use only, thanks :)